Chapter 1 references: Understand your audiences
- Adapted from: Somerville, Richard and Hassol, Susan Joy, “Communicating the Science of Climate Change,” Physics Today, October 2011. And from Center for Research on Environmental Decisions, The Psychology of Climate Change, October 2009.
- American Geophysical Union, Sharing Science
- Baron, Nancy, Escape from the Ivory Tower: A Guide to Making Your Science Matter, Island Press, 2010
- Committee on the Science of Science Communication, National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, Communicating Science Effectively: A Research Agenda, December 13, 2016.
- Funk, Cary and Kehaulani Goo, Sara, “A Look at What the Public Knows and Does Not Know About Science,” Pew Research Center. September 10, 2015
- Harris Poll, American Teens No Longer More Likely than Adults to Believe In God, Miracles, Heaven, Jesus, Angels, or the Devil, November 1, 2016.
- Harris Poll, Doctors, Military Officers, Firefighters, and Scientists Seen as Among America's Most Prestigious Occupations, September 2014.
- Hitlin, Paul; and Olmstead, Kenneth, “The Science People See on Social Media,” Pew Research Center, March 21, 2018.
- National Science Foundation, Science and Engineering Indicators, Chapter 7, 2018
- Nisbet, Matthew C. and Mooney, Chris, "Framing Science," Science, Vol. 316, No. 5821, April 6, 2007.
- Pew Research Center, Science and Scientists Held in High Esteem Across Global Publics, September 29, 2020
- Pew Research Center, Most Americans Trust the Military and Scientists to Act in the Public’s Interest, 2016
- Pew Research Center Religion & Public Life Project, “Public Esteem for Military Still High,” 2013
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, “‘Lone Wolf’ Protein Offers New Pathway to Cancer Treatments,” news release, May 18, 2018.
- Thompson, Clive, “Why Science Will Triumph Only When Theory Becomes Law,” Wired, November 2007
- Thompson, Mark, BBC Creative Future, speech to BBC staff, March 25, 2006
- Kuchner, Marc, Marketing for Scientists, Island Press, 2011.
- Meredith, Dennis, "Marketing for Scientists Charts a Path to Sucess," Research Explainer, April 1, 2012
- Mooney, Chris, Do Scientists Understand the Public?, American Academy of Arts & Sciences project on Improving the Scientific Community's Understanding of Public Concerns about Science and Technology, 2010
- Quinn, Helen, "Belief and knowledge—a plea about language," Physics Today, January 2007